Surviving these below zero temps in Chicago can be tough, that's why I decided any excuse to turn the oven on in the apartment was a good one. In the hopes of heating up our tiny abode, the BF and I whipped up a quick and easy bake that was super comforting on a recent frigid night. I also wanted an excuse to test out my new Le Creuset casserole dish (thank you Marshalls!).
I found a Pinterest recipe for Baked Quinoa and Chicken Parmesan that I tweaked based on the ingredients we had on hand, and the last remaining ingredients at our picked-over Jewel. The result was a hearty, filling dish, that is easy to make, easy to re-heat, and easy to devour!
This dish is definitely going to be one of my new favorites, especially during these harsh winter months!
Stay warm my friends!
Baked Quinoa and Chicken Parmesan
Recipe adapted from Spry Living
Olive oil spray
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz.)
1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I added 1/2 teaspoon because I like it spicy!)
Oregano, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and shredded
2/3 cup shredded, low-fat cheddar cheese (you can also use mozzarella)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (I used panko)
Instructions:Preheat the oven to 375 and spray a baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
Make the sauce:
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and spray with olive oil. Stir in the onion and cook until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook until it’s almost fully absorbed.
2. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil, and then simmer while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the quinoa:
1. Place the quinoa and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat, and simmer until cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
1. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa and chicken with the sauce and mix thoroughly.
2. Place half the mixture in the baking dish, and sprinkle with half of the cheddar or mozzarella cheese. Top with the remaining quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar or mozzarella cheese, the grated Parmesan and the breadcrumbs.
3. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly, about 10 more minutes.
4. Sprinkle with oregano and additional Parmesan before serving, if desired. Enjoy with oversized glass of red wine.